Our brain and nervous system control our body’s every action—from our motion, thoughts, and speech to the proper functioning of our organs. Not surprisingly, such a highly complex system is prone to a wide variety of disorders, including Alzheimer’s Disease, Epilepsy, Parkinson’s Disease, and Stroke, to name just a few.
University of Miami Hospital offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient diagnosis and treatment of many neurological disorders, such as diseases of the brain, spinal cord, nerve or muscle, as well as neuro-ophthalmologic disorders.
A group of dedicated and highly qualified neurology specialists carefully diagnose and treat thousands of patients a year. In addition to treating general neurological problems, neurologists at University of Miami Hospital specialize in the following areas:
- Stroke/Cerebrovascular Diseases
- Epilepsy and Related Disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis/Demyelinating Diseases
- Myastenia Gravis/Neuromuscular Diseases
- Parkinsons Disease/Movement Disorders
Besides routine EEG studies, this newly constructed facility performs 24-hour EEG/Video service monitoring. The EEG lab also provides intraoperative evoked potential monitoring of brain and nerve activity in-patients undergoing brain and spinal procedures.
Using state-of-the-art technology, physicians and technical staff at University of Miami Hospital’s Neurodiagnostic Department can help diagnose conditions such as:
- Epilepsy, brain tumors, brain injury, cerebral palsy, stroke, liver or kidney disease, or brain death
- Causes of problems such as weakness, blackouts or dizziness
- Auditory and visual evoked potentials are also done by this lab.
This clinical laboratory examines muscles by needle electromyography and measures conduction in motor and sensory nerves in patients with a wide variety of muscle and nerve diseases.
Here, too, somatosensory evoked potentials are measured for patients thought to have conduction defects in their central nervous system.
International Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
University of Miami Hospital is home to the International Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, where physician-scientists conduct groundbreaking research into the pharmacology of epilepsy and the psychiatric aspects of the disease.
The Center, which also includes a four-bed Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, offers expert, comprehensive evaluation and treatment of patients, including those with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and adults with Intractable Epilepsy who don’t respond to medication.
- Learning disabilities
- Attention-deficit disorder
- Impairment following head injury
Sleep Disorders Services
University of Miami Hospital’s Sleep Disorders Center diagnoses and treats patients who suffer from all forms of sleep disorders, including:
- Sleep apnea
- Restless legs syndrome and periodic leg movements
- Stroke Services
Treatment is also available for patients who have had strokes or whose symptoms suggest they are at risk for stroke.
Diagnostic Testing Equipment
- CT Scanners
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- SPECT of brain (neurophisiological evaluation including evoked potentials)
- NCV (nerve conduction studies)